Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 152: Bangled, Tangled, Spangled, and Spaghettied*

When I was pregnant with Michal, I remember being anxious for her birth.  What would she be like?  Which personality traits would she inherit from us, and which would she develop all her own?  Would she be a diligent student, or would she find new and inventive ways to make schoolwork a challenge?  I do remember wondering what she would look like.  I assumed she would have a darker complexion like us, so you can imagine my surprise when she was relatively pale upon birth.  I guess that will come with time... and the sun.  I definitely remember wondering if she would be an ugly baby... and whether I would even know.  And hair - would the old wives' tales be true in linking my occasional heartburn to the presence of hair?


Well, she did have hair, although looking back at those newborn pictures, it does not seem as abundant as it did in those first days.  Everyone commented on it, though.  Such hair, such a lucky girl.  Her baby friends, who were not as generously locked, expressed their jealousy.  


While I do not dislike accessories, I have not gone wild with the bows and headbands.  From time to time, usually if I remember, I will use one of our Hello, Charlotte James headbands or, more recently, a clip of some sort.  But for the most part, I'm just thankful that her hair doesn't obscure her vision too much, so I can just brush it to the side and not worry about accessories.  It seems like she has inherited my hair.  It is fine in texture with a bit of a curl, especially with increased humidity.  The curl could be because of Josh, too.  


Today's theme, however, was crazy hair.  We picked her up at day care to find that the older son had styled her hair.  It has been a near-record day of heat in the DC area, so we were not surprised to find Michal and Krystal, the women who watches her, outside on the stoop of the house, hose in hand, spraying Krystal's two children.  I half-wished I would "accidentally" get sprayed.  It looked like Michal got some of the castoff spray, so her hair was wet and ended up resembling a curly Mohawk after Krystal's son played with it - so cute!  So when we got home, we played a bit more with it.    


 Just getting a sense of the wild nature of it - it has some length and curl, just enough to make it CRAAAAAAZY. 

 It is definitely shorter in the back, partly because she sleeps on her back.  Everywhere else, her hair is fine and silky, but here it is slightly coarser, and it seems as if the strands that survive tend to be thicker and a little rough.  In time, I'm sure this will change.

 Faux-hawk baby!

Whenever anyone raves about her "long" hair, I try to let them know that looks deceive.  There is not a ton of length to her hair.  I can barely make this little Kewpie topknot happen, partly because of her hair's texture, partly because of the length.  But it IS possible!

More than anything else, what perplexes us is the color of her hair.  Josh and I both have dark hair, while Michal's can glint gold to auburn to light brown.  I have heard stories of friends who started out towhead blonds and are now bona fide brunettes.  I guess we'll see!


Bangled, Tangled, Spangled, and Spaghettied*

1 comment:

  1. Take it from the mom of a babe without much hair - that hair in that kewpie knot is PLENTY! Heh.

    I had very blond hair as a child, and now it's brown. I suspect n will have the same issue.

    ReplyDelete