Baby stuff is cute. It's a scientific fact - I'm sure there is some sort of theorem that addresses this issue, but just trust me: baby stuff is cute. I'm an expert. I've been known to walk into the Gap Outlet and get stuck in the baby section, wanting to purchase the most perfect, most adorable dress ever created, eventually forcing myself away, reminding myself that there will be more cuteness another time. It's easy to get carried away, though, from the cutest headbands ever to Babylegs to any number of baby-related items. My current obsession, however, was a little bit unexpected.
I cannot recall what first prompted me to consider cloth diapers. I do recall, though, about four or five months into the pregnancy, chatting with a friend who was pregnant with her third child, and happened to mention I was thinking about using cloth - her reaction was priceless as she gave me a "look," like I'd lost my mind. This has been a pretty typical reaction - when most people hear "cloth diapers," the image brought to their mind is one of a large white square of cloth, pins, a fabulously horrid plastic cover. When we told people we were going to cloth diaper our bundle of joy, we encountered much pessimism and were told that we would only last a few weeks before we gave up and went back to disposables. All of these reactions usually include some reference to "the poop" - pardon my French. In fact, the reality has been far from these predictions, and was further reinforced after having to spend an interminable week in disposables; I could not WAIT to get her back into her cloth.
Modern cloth diapers are not your grandmother's cloth diapers. They aren't even your mother's cloth diapers, and while I'd love nothing more than to spend the rest of this post going on and on about the various options, the ease, the amazing savings, the obviously eco-friendly factor, instead I'll just show the cuteness*. If nothing else, cloth diapers are adorable, coming in a variety of colors and prints. Here is my favorite lil' tree hugger in her Eco-Owl diaper (each owl says "Whooooooo loves the planet)...
Hello, my name is Elisha, and I'm addicted to diapers. Never in a million years could I have predicted this. Just one quick picture below of our stash. Because I can. And yes, I tried to organize them according to colors. I know I'm a dork.
I'm sure a) Josh isn't surprised I've gone on this long already and b) he's a little surprised I've ONLY gone on this long...
* If anyone is interested, I'm MORE than happy to talk cloth and answer any questions.
Thursday, January 13, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love this post. With all my cloth-diaper-obsessed heart.
ReplyDeleteI aspire to have a collection like that!
ReplyDeleteMiss M in that owl diaper?? CUTE.
ReplyDeleteOh wow! (from a Nana who had no idea). My grands have all used the very expensive disposables!
ReplyDeleteI had no idea cloth diapers were so adorable!!! I love all of the patterns and colors you chose!
ReplyDelete-Daphne