Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 18: Peas and Thank You

Like many things with motherhood, I've been surprised at what becomes important and what ends up being a non-issue.  I certainly did not have any strong opinion about how we would feed Michal - I had hoped to breastfeed if possible, and when we had to supplement, it was fine - she was growing and thriving, so not a big deal.  I did not have much of an opinion surrounding food - we would start at some point, and maybe I'd make it myself, maybe not.  I was going to see how it would go.  I anticipated that time would change when a baby was in the house, so I did not put much pressure on myself to be supermom and make all of her food.


With things that end up being important, you find the time.  I'm sure the baby food that comes in jars is perfectly fine, but for some reason, it just didn't feel right to me.  It was no big deal to pick up some veggies - peel, steam, and puree it up.  I have friends who say they don't have time to make food, deal with cloth diapers, commit to taking photographs and blogging about them for 365 days straight... but I make the time*.  These are things that have become important to me, and there are other things that have gone by the wayside. Like reading.  That's has been a surprise declining presence in my world.
   
Tonight I pulled out a cube of carrot and set about defrosting it.  In the meantime, I started cooking up some peas with the intention of getting them set up in ice cube trays to freeze overnight.  For some reason, I was suddenly moved to ditch the orange food, even if it was new, and try peas.  It was right there, it was fresh, and since I had already taken a couple of pictures of the process, why not - it might make for some fun pictures.  The carrots would be there later... as is the squash.
   
Using frozen peas, I cooked them up, not steaming them as I had the other foods.  Peas, no biggie, just throw them in a pot, cover with water, and boil.  Drain, reserving some water, and throw them into the food processor.
  
Add some of the reserved water and puree.
   
I put aside a small amount for Michal, spooning the rest into ice cube trays, which I covered with wax paper and foil before placing in the freezer.  I was curious to see how Michal would take to this new food.  Rice cereal was well received once she figured out what to do with it, and sweet potatoes were well received once she got the taste of it. 
  
But the peas... well... here is how the peas were received:
Slightly blurry, but I was laughing too hard to really steady the camera.  I know it is impolite to laugh, but really, how could I not.  We will give them a few more tries and then we will move on to something else, maybe the carrots.  Hopefully she will learn to love her green veggies.




*Absolutely no judgment or offense intended here - we all make choices with how we spend our time - these are my choices.  

4 comments: