As I have mentioned before, Michal loves her jumperoo. She could easily spend thirty minutes in it, just hanging out, jumping, and exploring all of its toys and features. She spins the duckies in their ball so they can go "swimming," she flips the "book" back and forth so I get a chorus of "The cow says... the lamb is white and fluffy.... *music*... the cow.. the lamb..." - you get the idea.
One of the toys that she occasionally visits is a trio of vegetables - a tomato, a corn cob, and a carrot. Each of these have a nook shaped like the veggie into which they can be deposited, setting off some lights and music or a disembodied voice. For example, the carrot lights up orange and varies between saying "Carrot," and "wheeeeeee!"
Michal has never really bothered with an in-depth investigation of this part of her toy. In the beginning of her experimenting with the various features of the jumperoo, she would sweep her hands around, occasionally catching the tether of one of the vegetables, occasionally bringing it to her mouth for an attempted gumming. That was really the extent of her interaction with the veggies. She has not yet bothered to figure out that if she places the tomato back into the round slot, something happens. The only time the music would play is when she knocked them out of their places (which we have usually replaced them beforehand).
Until today.
I put Michal into the jumperoo so I could get her bag ready to go as we headed out to work. I bustled around, gathering bottles, formula, diapers, wet bag, when I realized I was hearing the music and words from one of the veggies over and over again... "Yellow corn!" *music* "Yellow corn!" *music* ... over and over again... and over and over again. I had no idea what was going on, so I walked over, only to see this:
The little stinker, obviously quite brilliant and gifted, figured out that if she pressed the little post inside the slot, it would make the light go on and play any associated sounds. No need to bother with the cumbersome veggie. So far she is obsessed with the corn. She must have read the first chapter of The Omnivore's Dilemma.
Monday, March 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment